FJELLSTRAND. A Norwegian ship, seized by Nazis and sunk on Kalymnos Island!
"FJELLSTRAND", translated to "Mountain Beach" in English, was a luxury ship at it's time. With smoke salon, its own ladies' lounge, a first class dining room and a deck lounge.
- 1935 built in Oslo Norway,
- 1941 seized by Kriegsmarine, the Nazis navy
- 1945 agrouned and taken over by NBDS.
- 1958 sold to a Greek shipowner and renamed to STELLA.
- 1960 renamed to PANORMITIS and made the itinerrary Pireaus, Kalymnos, Kos, Rhodes.
- 26/1/1966 sunk on Kalymnos Island. Perhaps on purpose and without victims.
The wreck of PANORMITIS.
The broken wreck lays from 37 to 32 meters depth. It is available for Advanced Open Water Divers or higher. And to Open Water Divers as an adventure dive towards their AOWD course.
We learned the historical background of Panormitis wreck from a Norwegian group of divers. Tom Harbo and his friends Aslak, Knut, Dag and Anne Mari, visited us in July 2015 to dive Panormitis wreck.
The black and white photos and information are from http://soldekk.no/nesoddbatene/fjellstrand.html.